Monday, July 30, 2012

How to frame a book - A Little Golden Book

Pin It This weekend my family and I jumped in our car and made a little road trip to a quaint, little town just north of us.  I happened upon an old bookstore that had Little Golden Books displayed on a shelf near the front window.  Some of you may or may not remember the Little Golden Books, but they are classics!  I few of my favorites were, The Poky Little Puppy, Scuffy the Tugboat, and The Little Red Caboose.  Because I wasn't sure what their value was worth, I asked the store owner to make me a deal.  When he said, "$.50 a pop," I knew I had to have a couple.  I couldn't find any of my personal favs, so I picked out two other titles that I knew and loved - The Jungle Book and The Country Mouse and the City Mouse.

Because I'd found a couple of frames a few days before, I decided to frame those little gems.







I found these framed photos at the Goodwill for $3.99 each.

I painted the frame using Valspar Aquatic Edge.


I found scraps of fabric in Heirloom by Joel Dewberry that I had used on a dress for my daughter.   I cut the fabric so that it was about 1" bigger on all four sides of my shell photo.  I glued the edges using Fabri-Tac, but a hot glue gun would work just as well.



Add a dab of glue to the top and bottom of the back of the book {you could use more, but I didn't want to damage the back of the book}.



A quick before and "almost" after



Have fun creating your own vintage book art collection.

xo,
Jen

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE the little golden books!! Great idea to frame them! They look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to frame them. So cute in a nursery. One question......what keeps the book from opening?
    Pokey Little Puppy is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Debby! The glass helps hold it into place but also, inside of the frame are staples that you can bend back and forth to secure the book/art/photo into place.

      Delete
  3. I love those books! And they turned out so fabulous in the frames :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! First let me say, I love the little golden books, and I also love how they look in the frame. But at the same time...maybe a book in a frame is not so useful?! lol Would work great for books that you have double of so then you could still read the not framed one. I really love this idea - remembering this for future decorating!!

    Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brie! I agree, that's a good solution! Luckily, the book can pop out of the frame :-)

      Delete
  5. This is a great idea. These look adorable - it's such a great way to decorate a nursery.
    Rhiannon at beingmomme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute idea!!! i do have doubles of some books. i will have to remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! I have The Night Before Christmas Little Golden Book that was my husband's when he was little. I have to do this to add to Christmas decor this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that looks so cute! Those old fashioned children's books always have really cute pictures! Espcecially with your favorite books from back in the days, that would be really cool! (With additional copies, though, I'd hate to cut up a book that still wants to be read =) xo Anja

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a great idea! I'm going to pin this. I'm still in the process of decorating my son's room, this is perfect and budget friendly :) Thanks for the follow have followed back x

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh awesome idea!! I'll have to do this. Thanks for the new follow. I loved checking out your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I've bought copies of my kids' favorite books and thought it would be fun to do a collage on our library wall of pages from their cherished stories. Found you through the Naptime FB hop!
    ~Susan
    www.solesearchingmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea! We also love Little Golden Books!! My husband and I were determined to find a few of our favorites for Owen before he was born and my MIL gave him "The Little Red Engine." Definitely classics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this..we love the Little Golden Books around here, I think mainly because I have such good memories of them when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! So adorable! I would love for you to come link up your blog to my Get social Sunday link party!

    http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/get-social-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I still have some of these when I was a little girl. I gave them to my children when they started reading. Never once did I think about doing this after they were done, I just donated them. Wish this was around 10 years ago. lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...