Sunday, May 6, 2012

Seersucker Peasant Dress Tutorial

Pin It

I didn't use a pattern for this dress, just two sheets of computer paper taped together.  Real classy folks! I based it on the pattern found here and then tweaked the sizing and sleeves.    To get started, here's what you'll need:

Materials
 1 yd. of seersucker fabric
1/4 in. elastic {I used Dritz}
pins



Note: I adjusted these after making the first dress because it was snug in the chest and arm area.  The measurements above should fit most 2T children.



Once you've cut out your fabric, you'll need to create the arms for the dress.  
Cut two 12" x 12" squares for the arms.


Now fold the 12" x 12" square and line the dress on top of it and cut along the dress line.  Do the same for the neck line at top.

You should have four pieces like this.

This is what it should look like.  Now sew the two pieces together with a straight stitch about 3/8" from the edge.  Sew along the edge with a zig zag stitch for extra support.  *Note, don't sew the bottom part of the sleeve to the dress, just sew the armhole to the dress.

Repeat for the other arm.


It should look something like this.

Now sew the two side of your dress together.  Make sure to sew all the way up to the sleeve {that should be the part I said not to sew in the beginning...hope that makes sense}.



Now fold the top edge over twice and iron down.  Once pressed, sew a straight stitch close to the edge of the fold.  Make sure to leave a two inch hole so you can slip your elastic through.


Cut 14" of elastic.  This will be for your neck.  Slip it through the hole you created with a safety pin attached to the end.  This will help guide it through.

Once you pull it through, sew the two ends together and close the hole together with a straight stitch.


Okay, now you're going to do the exact same thing with your sleeve.  Fold the sleeve over twice and press.  



Cut 6" of elastic for one sleeve.  Use the same method as you did for the neck.  Repeat for the other sleeve.



Almost done!!!  Fold the bottom of your dress over twice {like you did for the neck and sleeve} and sew a straight stitch along the edge.


Now flip right side out, sit back, and admire your work.


Happy sewing!

xo,
Jen


20 comments:

  1. Jen - That's the kind of sewing that took place (back in the day) prior to McCall and Simplicity patterns. You know you're a good seamstress when you can accomplish this kind of sewing! Good job. Was the dog airborne because a snake was in the grass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute--great tutorial! I am a new follower, I hope you can stop by my blog sometime:)

    Shannon@SewSweetCottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little dress for a cute little girl with a jumping dog :) Wish I could sew dresses that good! A Job Well Done.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how easy you made that look!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I'd love to have you back for the giveaway tomorrow!! :)
    Happy to follow back!

    xoxo,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    New follower from the blog hop please come follow me back :)
    http://lifewithtwinsandadramaqueen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great! I'm going to try it for my 2 year old! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I have a two year old this would be perfect for! Found you on Somewhat simple!

    Amber
    recipeswelove.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dog has impressive hops! :) I'm your latest follower! Woohoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! I love seer sucker. Mainly 'cause it takes less ironing.;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Cute. I love seersucker! I would love for you to link this up to "I Made This" at Grits & Giggles! http://www.gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-made-this-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. She looks lovely in her new dress. Visiting form lines across and following you now
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally adorable. I'd love for you to add it on my link party at: http://printabelle.com/?p=3717 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love it! And I love that you don't rely on a pattern, but you break out the common sense and make it happen.
    It makes us better at our craft when we work like that.

    well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome,you have great talent!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing!!! That dress on C is so adorable and your dog flying through the air brought tears to my eyes. ;)

    Your site is awesome, you're sooo talented!

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you decide to buy your Allure 8901 on the Internet, Now many websites provide many special services,such as according to your originality and ideas to make the appropriate adjustments, for perfect Allure 8902. Many girls began to try this practice, they will choose a high credibility, to realize your own great ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This article is really helpful and wonderful and would be better if more introductions of the 369$ - 2010 La Sposa Lara Wedding Gown are available.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It 's the most wonderful article I have read recently. My fiancé and I disagree with each other on what cheap San Patrick wedding dresses to buy. I prefer this one while he another. I'd like to have your opinion, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...