Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How to sew a bib + FREE pattern

Pin It


Remember the baby shower photos from last week?  Well, I promised a tutorial on how to make an easy bib for you newbie sewers.  I know there are a million other tutorials out there, but I created my own and thought I'd share it with you.  To find tutorials on the diaper cover and dress, I used the ones here and here.  This bib will fit up to size 2T - 3T.


Materials
 (2) 1/4 yds. of coordinating fabric
1/2 yard of terrycloth {this will give you enough to make several bibs}
snap fasteners
free bib pattern - click here
  be sure to print at 100% {not fit to screen}






Cut your bottom fabric along the line on your bib pattern


Repeat this step for the top of your bib.


Now once you have both pieces cut, you'll need to place one on top of the other with right sides facing.
Sew a 1/4 to 3/8 in. seam along the top edge of your pieces.


Now iron open your seam.  This part is easy to skip, but it looks a lot better when you iron open all of your seams.


Okay, now lay your bib pattern on top of the two pieces of fabric that are now sewn together.  Pin and cut along the pattern.


Repeat for the terrycloth piece.

Right sides together, sew along the edges.  Remember to leave a three inch hole so you can turn your fabrics right side out.


Once it's sewn together and you've turned your pieces right side out, it should look like this.  Now you need to fold in the three inch space you left.  To fold the two pieces in, just tuck them inward and pin together.  

Now topstitch along the edge of the bib to close the hole.

I used a pearl snap fastener for the top of bib.  Simply follow the directions on the box to complete the bib.  **On a side note, I decided I'm not a huge fan of the pearl fastener even though it looks cute.  I found they could crack easily if using a hammer.  If you choose to use these, be careful.  I would advise buying the snap fastener kit that comes with a tool specifically for pearl snap fasteners.  You can find them at Walmart.


OKAY!  You're done!!!  
Once you get the hang of it, you can whip out a couple of these in an hour.




 Have fun!

Jen

35 comments:

  1. Love this Jen! I think I'll be making baby #3 some handmade bibs thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are precious! LOVE the fabric and thanks soooo much for the tutorial!! ;) Would LOVE for you to link up to our Uncommonly Yours link party!

    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I am LOVING this! I am expecting my first and I definitely want to use this pattern! What do you suggest using instead of the pearl snap fastener?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, congrats on your first born! There are other snap fasteners that have snap exactly the same way, but the top portion looks just like a circle. See here: http://www.amazon.com/100-Piece-16-Snap-Fastener-Refills/dp/B003LQZFJG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1329336820&sr=8-5

      Delete
    2. Thanks, so much! So excited!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. The bibs look wonderful.

    Love for you to share it at my linky party here if you haven't already :)
    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-18-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. seems like all my friends have bigger kids who don't need bibs. I guess I have to make new friends with people who have babies...so I can make some of these adorable bibs! Darling!

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable!! I can't wait til my friends start having babies so I can make some! Thanks for the tutorial! Love the fabrics you used!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to make several of these quick! This is one of the cutest patterns I've seen for bibs so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andi! They're so easy to do :-)

      Delete
  8. This is so great and helpful! My friend recently asked if I would make some simple bibs for her baby and it seemed a little daunting for my novice skills, but this is so helpful! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a new sewer too and a lot of projects seem daunting, but I promise this one you'll enjoy! Have fun :-)

      Delete
  9. visiting from Tatertots & Jello party- so cute!! might just have to give these a whirl :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this cute tutorial and pattern! Thanks for stopping by my blog- following along now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are super stinken cute!! I love everything about your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. just adorable - i will have to try these

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE this! What a great tutorial. I am going to have to try this!! Thanks for sharing!
    HUGS~
    Jenni
    kissedbyafrog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can never have too many bibs! Thanks for the how to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. aah! I am a newbie sewer and expecting, so this is going on my project list! Can't wait to get started. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Helena! Hope they turned out great :-)

      Delete
  16. I have been wishing for a simple, easy to follow bib pattern and now I've found it! Your pictures are big and clear and easy to follow for a newbie sewer! Thank you so much! I'm a new follower and I have a party I'd love for you to link up to!

    http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/02/latest-greatest-friday-19.html

    I can't wait to make one for my little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these! The two fabrics together make them look so fun and more professional than most DIY bibs. I love the particular prints you chose too! Great tutorial! So glad you shared at Shine on Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are super sweet, Jen! Thanks so much for sharing, I have a friend due to have her first girl next month (she has two boys) so want to make her some "girlie" stuff! Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to your friend! I hope you have fun making these...and I hope she likes them too :-)

      Delete
  19. Hi There- Great Tutorial! I was curious how these did in the wash? Or do you just do them by hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They washed well! You should always wash your fabrics before sewing to prevent shrinkage. Otherwise, the fabrics I used - cotton and terry cloth - always wash great!

      Delete
  20. These bibs are so cute! And you can never have too many bibs :) I would love for you to link them up at my link party http://thewinthropchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/03/share-it-link-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. so cute and easy
    Thanks for the great idea and pattern

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable! Love the material you used. Following you back! -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  23. So adorable! For some reason, the pattern won't open in adobe for me. Can you email it to me? j3anthony@yahoo.com

    Thanks sooo much!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are so cute! I have already bought the fabric but I can't open the pattern either..it jumps right to a google ad :-( could you send it to me too? marjolijn-at-web-dot-de

    Thank you!

    Laney

    ReplyDelete
  25. The back would be nice made from minky.I sew baby things from minky and seem to have lots of scraps that I hate to throw away since minky is somewhat pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have been looking for a very simple and easy to follow pattern in making a baby bib and luckily I have found this one. These baby bibs are so cute and easy! And I think they are so perfect for a baby shower gift. Thank you for sharing this one. It is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...