Monday, October 3, 2011

Upcycle: Old Sweater into Place Tags

Pin It


When I was a wee young thing, my job for Thanksgiving was to make place tags for everyone at the table.  I actually preferred the job of "taste tester", but place tag maker was a close second.  Well, tack on 20+ years and here I am today, still creating place tags.  I hope you enjoy this one readers!!!

Here's what you'll need:
an old sweater {orange works best for the pumpkins, but any shade of fall will work}
burlap scraps
acorn tops {if available}
scrapbook paper
circle cut-outs
scissors
fabric glue

I found an old sweater at the thrift store last week and knew it would be perfect for our little pumpkins.


I created several circles using Word.  I just slightly increased the size on each one.


Cut them out and lay them on your sweater.


Trace the circles using a fabric marker {regular markers will work too}.


Make sure you cut within your trace line so you don't see the marker on the edges of your pumpkins.


Stack them by starting with the smallest one first and work your way up.  Once you've reached the middle of the pumpkin, you'll work backwards.  Work from large to small until you've created a sphere.


Trim excess fabric around the edges if some circles hang out too much.


Now you should have a perfect little pumpkin.  Are you already likin' this guy or what?


Cut a small leaf from your burlap.


Place on top of the pumpkin with a little glue.  Then top it with an acorn head.


For the place tag, I created a larger version.


I simply cut this out with scissors and rounded the edges.  Make sure you have a little "tail" to slip in between your layers of sweater.


Glue in place.


Voila!




Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Upcycle!

Happy crafting.



linking up to: life made lovely, skip to my lou, homemaker on a dime, a bowl full of lemons, tip junkie, today's creative blog, blackberry vine, sewmuchado, southern lovely, somedaycrafts, somewhat simple, 30 handmade days, fingerprints on the fridge, tatertots and jello.

26 comments:

  1. what a great project! i just might have to make some.
    i stopped by from life made lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg....These are so adorable! When I first saw the thumbnail picture, I thought it was a recipe for a muffin!!! lol Love the upcycle part of this project. Super duper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has got to be the most creative thing I've ever seen! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also! I wanted to tell you that you should link up tomorrow and tell us about the moment you decided to turn your sewing hobby into your business! The last time we did our Double Day Giveaway, everyone LOVED your make up roll, so I KNOW people would be interested to find out about that decision, and not to mention the networking will be fabulous! At the end of this post is where I describe the prompt in more detail:

    http://threesforme.blogspot.com/2011/10/q-with-small-business-heavy-hitter.html

    I hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha at first sight I thouth they were cookies! but it is really a nice idea to reuse :)

    http://whatdidiate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these - I have a ton of clothes I could use for this - It might take a long time but I bet this same technique would look great on a long string as a birthday or room decoration

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I love this idea! SO creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute! I'm always trying to think of things to reuse clothes for. Thanks for the idea!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Those are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute!! Feel free to link this up at my 10 Crafty Days of Halloween linky party: http://vanessascraftynest.blogspot.com/2011/10/10-crafty-days-of-halloween-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. {running into my closet to find a sweater i can cut up...} i love these so much! so cute. i love upcycling! great job.

    i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

    letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

    thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are really cute -- thanks for stopping by my blog, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! I love this idea :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a creative idea! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! Very sweet little pumpkins! saw you at TipJunkie

    ReplyDelete
  16. o girl this is SOO dang cute! i LOVE it:)
    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love repurposing projects! this is so create and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very Cute Idea! Stop by sometime. www.throughtheeyesofthemrs.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow I love this, and love your blog too! I too love to re-purpose and reuse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so happy you shared this @ Show & Share. I really love this project! Super creative.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, just wanted to let you know that I featured you today! Grab a button if you'd like!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/10/show-share-8-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. these are darling! I love them! I would love if you would come share this and/or any other projects at the Tuesday Talent Show going on right now at Chef In Training! Hope to see you there!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...