Monday, July 18, 2011

Button Art

Pin It If you've been reading my past few posts, then you know I love a good bargain!  Who doesn't by the way? You can make a $7 skirt here, upcycle a $2.95 vintage skirt here, or have fun with the kiddos for free here!


Well, my guest bedroom side table was in need of a little bargain TLC.  I've had it since college and well, she's a little tired looking.  She still needs a good paint job, but that's another post.

 Here's what you'll need for your button art (fyi, I spray painted the frame before this picture was taken)


I thrifted this picture frame for $.80 and added a good coat of spray paint.



I first started by arranging the buttons in some sort of pattern.  I liked the grid, but I didn't like the fabric because the pattern was to big for the small frame.  


I switched out the fabric and chose a fabric with a smaller pattern.  I took my fabri-tac and glued the fabric to inside of the frame.


Then I rearranged the buttons into a 3 x 3 grid and glued them into place with the fabri-tac.


I also purchased another frame (yep that says $.40) and two adorable buttons.



I used the frame as my template to line up the buttons one on top of the other.


These had to be sewed into place because the back of the buttons were not flat like above.


I used a pencil and lightly traced the inside of the frame onto the fabric.  This acted as a guide for cutting the fabric to fit nicely in the frame.  Just cut the fabric and place it into the frame.


VOILA!


Here's the end table with that extra bit of TLC.


Let's do the math...I spent $1.20 on the frames, $5.00 on buttons, and the fabric scraps were free.  Not to shabby my friends, not too shabby.

P.S. The other frame is a picture I took in college on a study abroad program to Italy. Check out the town here







18 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea - those buttons are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Sometimes I hate using buttons on a project because they are too pretty, what a perfect way to use AND display them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This idea is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. simple and soooooo lovely!!
    thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great little project..and I luv that color blue. Thanks for sharing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Timeless! You're a crafty gal! Come see my candlesticks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I made something similar for my daughter's nursery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, fabri-tac!! :) Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great little project!! Stunning results! And, now I'm just thinking how much I would love to be a guest in that room, it looks so cozy!! So happy you linked up at Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop..I was co-hosting this week and I am so happy I found you there! Now following...hope you can stop by and visit soon!
    creativecarmella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there again! I wanted to let you know I featured this fun project on my blog today...hope you can stop by, take a look, and grab a button!

    http://creativecarmella.blogspot.com/2011/07/more-of-my-faves.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Fun fabric and frames are always fun!

    http://craftyindulgence.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it cousin!!!! May use a version of this for an upcoming wedding! :) xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...